Have you ever seen a whale shark up close? Here is my magical encounter with a few of them.
- It is the world’s largest fish.
- It can measure over 15 feet long and weigh over 20 tons.
- Their skin is dark gray with white or yellowish spots. Feels like sandpaper, so it can scrape your skin.
- It feeds only on plankton and small fish.
- They are unfortunately endangered, by man.
- In the Riviera Maya, the whale shark can be found only during the summer, from May to September, to be more specific.
- The best time to see them is after the full moon, when they are most active.
- Avoid diving. Go into the water, slowly.
- Do not use camera with flash. That can alter or even confuse them.
- Maintain a distance of 2 meters between you and the shark.
- Do not get in front of him.
- Life jacket required.
- Use only biodegradable sunscreen.
- Do not touch the animal.
- If you tend to get sea sick, we recommend you take Dramamine.